Milk thistle is grown and cultivated in many parts of Europe as an ornamental plant. It is a pretty plant with huge glossy spiked leaves that are run through with beautiful white veins. However, the medicinal benefits of milk thistle have been known for hundreds of years.
- Modern medicine has recognized it as being an excellent remedy for liver complaints. Milk thistle has been shown to have Silymarin in its properties, and Silymarin is a flavonoid that promotes the renewal of liver cells. Flavonoids are important to our bodies as they help us to eliminate toxins.
- Silymarin is helpful in the treatment of many ailments, including cancer, gall bladder problems and chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation). It can also cope with cirrhosis, liver disorders, depression, menstrual problems and varicose veins.
- Traditionally, milk thistle extracts are made from the seeds of the plant because they contain approximately 4-6% Silymarin. However, the extract consists of about 65-80% Silymarin.
- Psychotropic substances have long been used to manage pain. They are also used to alter the mental outlook in those suffering from debilitating depressions. Unfortunately, they have been known to cause drug-induced liver damage. However, those who take the psychotropic drugs along with Silymarin have been shown to have much less liver damage.
- There are remarkable milk thistle benefits that involve a much higher survival rate among those suffering from Amanita phalloides (death cap) mushroom poisoning. Silybin has medically been shown to protect the liver from practically all types of damage. This includes accidental contact to chemical pollutants as well as the known and unknown toxic side effects of various medications.
- Numerous milk thistle benefits have been cited such as using it as a post (oral steroid) cycle therapy for use by body builders. Some have said that it’s useful in lowering high cholesterol levels. Many have reported that it will reduce the growth of cancer cells in prostate, cervical and breast cancer. The other benefits from milk thistle that it may be used for is the claim that it can reduce the nasty effects of a hangover.
- It helps those who receive chemotherapy, and those who have a HIV infection. It also benefits those who are suffering from allergies. As well as preventing or helping moderate to heavy alcohol abusers and even halt or slow down the creation of varicosities and or hemorrhoids.
Further, Silymarin may prevent free radical damage by acting as a strong antioxidant. Silymarin is many times more effective than Vitamin E. To receive milk thistle benefits daily you need to find a good multivitamin supplement. This will also include herbal extracts such as green tea, bilberry extract, ginkgo biloba and many others.