What is Erythritol?
Erythritol (also referred to as 2R, 3S-butane-1, 2, 3, 4-tetraol) is a sugar alcohol that is widely used as one of the best sugar substitutes in United States of America along with the rest of the world. Although, it doesn’t contain as much calories as sugar; however it’s considered ideal for the diabetes patients because they are not allowed for eating sweeteners. Sweetness of erythritol is about 60 to 80% in comparison to sugar. Thus, it can be used as a natural sweetener. It has been observed in various surveys and studies that it’s found in human tissues and body fluids. It can also be consumed by the people in high amounts on the daily basis.
Qualities and uses of Erythritol
There are various qualities in erythritol which make it a standout as a sugar alcohol. Have a glance on such qualities which are mentioned below:
- Erythritol is non-caloric (it has zero calories) while most sugar alcohols are low calorie.
- Erythritol is made by fermenting the natural sugar that is found in corn.
- It is used as an antioxidant as it helps in fighting free radicals that are responsible for the aging process. It is excreted unchanged as it is so readily absorbed. This is one of the main reasons that it is considered even more sufficient in comparison to other sugar alcohols.
- Erythritol is non-glycemic as it does not raise blood sugar. It is considered suitable for diabetic people as it does not raise insulin level or plasma glucose
- Erythritol has noncarcinogenic quality. It has been observed in various studies that it does not have carcinogenic properties like Xylitol.
- It’s ideal for digestion. It’s more effective for ending up various diseases and symptoms like diarrhea along with many others. It is easier to digest than Xylitol.
- Heat stable up to 160 degree Celsius.
- In Unites States of America (USA), FDA has approved its status as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) and is widely used in various other countries such as European union, Japan, Canada, Mexico along with many other countries.
Thus, you can see that erythritol has many features which make them a standout as a sugar alcohol. There are numerous products available in the market, which are healthful for the people especially for the diabetic people. Medical experts also recommend erythritol products to the people according to their specific needs and requirements.