You might disagree but hear me out on this; more than 80% of us are deficient in omega 3 fatty acids and need DHA supplements to bridge the gap. Ill effects of these deficiency may be dormant for some time but believe me they will be evident sooner or later in the form of high cholesterol, sleep disorder, strokes, heart attacks, loss of vision, etc. So why not take safety measures now – remember prevention is better than cure.
Why DHA Supplements?
DHA is a form of omega 3 fatty acids that are not produced in our body but are essential for various organs of our body to work properly. So we have to take them explicitly in our diet. Vegetarian sources i.e. flaxseeds and oil does not contain DHA but body can convert fatty acids in them to DHA. Since conversion may not always be effective, it is recommended to consume food products rich in DHA like fish.
Since ocean water and hence the fishes in them are not free from toxins, good quality DHA supplement is recommended.
Benefits of DHA supplements
- Pregnant women are often told to take these supplements regularly. This helps in reducing chance of developing pre-eclampsia and postpartum depression. This also reduces the chance of premature births and cesarean.
- DHA supplements play a vital role in the growth of kids also. It helps in better hand/eye coordination, immunity development, improvement in mental sharpness, comprehension and vocabulary skills.
- Human brain is made up of a high percentage of fat. Docosahexaenoic acid commonly known as DHA constitutes of more than 50% of the fat in brain.
- Lower levels of DHA can hamper the brain growth and may affect brain performance. This may result in diseases like Dyslexia and Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- People suffering from diabetes tend to have high triglyceride and low HDL levels. DHA helps in lowering triglycerides and apoproteins, cholesterol and blood pressure. They also help in increasing HDL levels.
- Best way to prevent heart disease is to eat low-fat and polyunsaturated (DHA is one of such fat) diet. Heart attack occurs when artery supplying blood to heart is blocked. Studies prove that regular intake of DHA supplement breaks up the clots and thus protect us from heart attack and stroke.
As you can see DHA is one such fatty acid that has important for everybody and in various stages of life. Right from the day when we as humans are conceived i.e. fetus, till we grow old passing through various phases of a child and an adult; we need DHA at every stage to prevent some or the other ailment.