What are SARMS?
SARMS or Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators contain androgens. Androgens are a special kind of hormones that act as ligands (a molecule linked to another molecule) that connect to cellular androgen receptors (AR). The AR is integrated in a composite signal transduction conduit that ultimately leads to bigger expression of particular genes. This connection to the AR is what makes all prohormones and steroids give their muscle growth properties.
Selective receptor modulator is a drug that can both obstruct or fuel similar nuclear hormone receptor in different conditions. If it can obstruct or fuel a receptor in a tissue selective mode, it has the ability to replicate the important effects in one tissue and concurrently reduce the adverse effects of the natural or synthetic steroidal hormones in other tissues.
Unlike testosterone cypionate, SARMS is more than 200 times more powerful in muscle stimulation and 80 times more selective for muscle.
SARMS vs. Prohormones
Prohormones were the first ones introduced to the market. However, steroids or testosterone supplements don’t have the muscle growth effects of authentic steroids and they carry the same adverse side effects making them unsafe for human use.
Meanwhile, SARMS are an upgrade of anabolic steroids. It can be administered orally, minimizing the effects in testosterone blood levels. SARMS are also believed to cure various diseases which steroids and other medicines treated earlier. It also shows promise to replace androgen which can yield similar desirable results on muscle tissue as steroids.
According to a study conducted by the World Anti-doping Agency (WADA), approximately tenth of the worlds athletic population uses SARMS (particularly Ostarine) to enhance their body and performance (which is considered a safe performance boost).
Studies have shown the ability of SARMs to increase muscle and bone mass dramatically in animals while having no adverse impact on the prostate. Phase I trials of SARMs in humans have also reported significant increases in lean muscle mass. The two most talked about SARMs among bodybuilders are SARM S-4 a.k.a. Acetamidoxolutamide and SARM S-1: a.k.a. Ostarine or MK 2866.
How Do SARMS Work?
As we age, our endurance, power and skeletal muscle mass deteriorates due to the loss of type 2 muscle fibers. This hinders individuals to function normally. With SARMS, skeletal muscle mass and strength in androgen-deficient people can be enhanced.
There are 2 types of administering SARMS – orally or in injectable dosages. The anabolic effect is expected to be the same as testosterone. Moreover, it’s also said to produce dose-dependent improvements in bone mineral density and motorized strength apart from the ability to decrease body fat and increase lean body mass.
SARMS link to the same receptors that old steroids such as Dianabol and testosterone would connect to, but minus the drawbacks and side effects of traditional steroids and prohormones. This is a fresh start in the advancement of muscle pharmacology as SARMS can help enhance muscle mass, while helping you reduce body fat and boost athletic performance beyond your imagination.
The Benefits of SARMS
SARMS is believed to have the capacity to employ the benefits of anabolic supplements while reducing the side effects of steroids.
- Non-toxic (won’t cause liver damage)
- Avoids bone loss (direct action of testosterone in bone thru the AR-mediated conduit is critical for its anabolic effects in bone)
- Decreases the threat of prostate problems in men without muscle mass loss
- Won’t impede your HPTA
- Similar effects with testosterone
- No estrogen and Dihydrotestosterone (a hydrogen hormone) conversion
For muscle builders, taking SARMS will give:
- Muscle loss prevention (during cutting period)
- Lean muscle development
- Improved strength
- Faster injury recovery
- Joint healing abilities
- PCT use following anabolics
Side Effects of SARMS
What’s great about SARMS is that its side effects are minimal, so you don’t have to worry about anything (unless taken in high doses for a long period). Running it for 4 weeks or more will likely produce these side effects:
- Testicular atrophy (a reduction in size of male reproductive organs)
- Virilization in women (development of male characteristics)
Note: Controlling SARMS consumption will truly help you in achieving the benefits of Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators while avoiding the side effects simultaneously.
The Most Popular SARMS
There are many SARMS, but here are the 4 main SARMS that are currently offered and most applicable to athletes, bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts:
- LGD-4033 – a potent, non-steroidal bodybuilding supplement for enhancing lean muscle mass and reducing body fat
- Ostarine (MK-2866) – selective for anabolic activity at certain ARs, great for maintaining and increasing lean body mass and recomping
- S4 (Andarine) – selective for bone tissue (mostly low virilization), aimed to cure osteoporosis and won’t produce the development of prostate and other secondary sexual organs
- GW 501516 (Cardarine)* – burns fat sans muscle loss and helps you take your trainings to the next level. Known as “the king of endurance supplements” and used by top athletes and bodybuilders.
*GW-501516 is not a SARM but is more of a PPAR receptor agonist.